Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Report: Everything is Illuminated

It has been a long time since I finished a book and there are good reasons. One is that this book was not easy to read. Another reason was that I left this difficult to read book in New York after my last trip back to San Francisco.

However, after entirely too long, I have finished Everything is Illuminated by the formidable and unbelievably self-centered Jonathan Safran Foer.  Again, one of the had never, but knew I had to read books from my list, Everything is Illuminated didn't disappoint me and was worth the wait.

I did not know the story at all.  I did not even know that the book was made into a movie, which I can't imagine does the book justice. 

I enjoyed this book, Nazis, Jew killings and all.  It was lyrically written, both in the truly English sections and in the broke, Russian-English sections. The stories were woven expertly and I would read another Safran Foer book, as long as it was not about being a vegetarian.

5 out of 5 Stars.

No comments: