Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bosu Blogging is Like Gonzo Journalism

This week has been tough. The ankle, the complete and total taper (read: NO RUNNING), the PT, and the bosu ball. And then that pesky work thing.

Eric my PT, who thinks I am an idiot but respects the drive to toe the line, has put me on an increasing my balance regiment and somewhat impressively, it has worked pretty well. But he also has reintroduced me to an old friend: the bosu ball.

They call it a bosu ball because son-of-a-bitch ball was taken
Back in New York, I used the bosu ball to do fake sit-ups and pretend that I was in the work-out know.  I was not. I used it very rarely and it sucked. I do not like this piece of equipment and it doesn't like me. I would look at it as the torture devices I have learned it to be.

However this week I went from being unable to stand on it with both feet in the above pictured position, to being able to stand with one foot (either the good or bad one) flipped over for about 45 seconds before I fall off.  I think that is pretty good for a guy with a still-sorta-sprained ankle and NO balance.

The underlying issue I have, like so many runners, is extremely weak gluts.  Runners have lots of good things going on for them, however, atrophy of the gluts is not one of them.  This kind of weakness leads to a number of problems including an inability to stabilize and allow for my busted ankle to heal. So I have been balancing a lot.  I am getting good at it but still there is a little pain.  Well more like sore muscles I have never used.


On that note: I have very flat feet and, believe it or not, having flat feet is detrimental to ankle stability. Huh, who knew? said no one ever.  But the muscle that controls your arch, for those of you who have arches, also does a lot of stability work. I for one, did not know that someone without arches, like me, could create an arch through working said small muscle.  While my ankle is feeling a lot better, my small muscles and big ones (hahah butt joke) are hurting from all this extra work.

This is a long way of saying I am going through some serious taper madness and I really just want to get to the starting line and run like a well-paced bat of of hell without killing my ankle.

Three days to go.

I guess it could be worse.

No comments: